Create your own web server…
Networking ToolKit (NTK) is a plugin that allows you to implement advanced TCP and UDP socket network communications within your 4D applications. In addition it contains advanced functionality for encryption, digital signatures, markup and JSON.
NTK Plugin has been updated to version 2.5.4. This release includes a few bug fixes and improvements on SSL. All users are recommended to update to this version. More details can be found in the section Version history of the documentation.
Networking ToolKit (NTK) is a plugin that allows you to implement TCP and UDP socket network communications within your 4D applications.
With this plugin you can add powerful networking capabilities to your application like:
- Add a telnet interface to your 4D application for remote administration.
- Invoke remote methods for distributed processing.
- Automatic discovery of network services.
- Add chat functionality within your applications.
- Communicate with any TCP enabled device such as printers, barcode scanners or laboratory equipment over a network.
- Implement client or server functionality for protocols such as HTTP, XML/RPC, HL7, SMTP, POP, DNS etc.
Pluggers product web site is here.
So, why using NTK?
Good question. The reason is: it works and it allows you to control the TCP/IP communication at a very low level. Tons of more controls then the 4D InternetCommands provide. Why would want to do this? Create your own HTTP-Server (= Web Server), no need for a 4D WebExtension license. Talking about licenses, NTK comes with a no-hassle licenses (Thank you, Rob!!), means, you buy it once and use it in all your installations.
In the dark ages, speak: before 4D v12, I used NTK to send/receive SSL mails from 4D. Worked like a charm. Since 4D v12 SSL mails are supported, as long as you stay away from HTML mails, but that’s a different topic.